Senior Vacation Bible School
Senior Vacation Bible School (Senior VBS) is a fellowship and formation program for seniors and aspiring seniors, age 50+. Join us to focus on the spiritual direction of your retirement and golden years.
4:30pm - 5:00pm Fellowship time, VBS craft and songs
5:00pm - 6:00pm Guest speaker and group discussion
6:00pm - 6:45pm Spiritual discernment and discussion led by Mother Whitney
7:00pm - 7:30pm Dinner
Sunday, August 12th | God Speaks: Hearing Your Life
Special festive refreshments and welcoming reception at 4:30pm.
- Bible Study: Paul
- Activity: Spiritual autobiography
- Guest Speakers on Healthcare for Seniors:
- Jennifer Carnahan, Associate Professor of Medicine at IU, IU Center for Aging Research, Investigator at the Regenstreif Institute. Dr. Carnahan is a physician specializing in geriatrics. Her research focuses on care transitions, especially from the skilled nursing facility setting to home.
- Jessica Evans, Director of Outreach, Boone County Senior Services. Boone County Senior Services, Inc (BCSSI) has been helping Boone County age well for the past 40 years. Our mission is to promote independence and provide enriching opportunities to older adults in our county at free or low cost.
Monday, August 13th | God Equips: Finding Your Spiritual Gifts
- Bible Study: Samuel
- Activity: Spiritual types
- Guest Speaker on Caregiving:
- Cynthia Daniels, Home and Community Base program of Division of Aging. Ms. Daniels operates an Independent Case Management Company and is contracted with the State of Indiana Division of Aging. Her work helps individuals to reside in their homes as long as possible before having to move to a caregiving or nursing facility. Ms. Daniels has worked in caregiving and the social services field for all of her adult life.
Tuesday, August 14th | God Guides: How to Discern Your Vocation
- Bible Study: Jesus
- Activity: Clearness committee
- Guest Speaker on Law and Legal Resources for Seniors:
- Elizabeth Schlueter, J.D., Owner, Schlueter Breman, LLC. Ms. Schlueter is a practicing lawyer in Indiana. Her firm constructs thoughtfully developed documents which capture objectives concerning physical and financial care for the future. Their advocacy continues with end of life planning, including wills and trusts and implementation of property transfers and beneficiary designations.
Wednesday, August 15th | God Calls: Your Life as a Minister
- Bible Study: Mary and Martha
- Activity: Sustainability plan including lessons learned from guest speakers
- Guest Speaker on Grief and Loss:
- Jim Zaher, certified Death Doula/End-of-Life Care Partner. Following his father’s death of dementia, Mr. Zaher began extensive training and work in memory care facilities and hospices. This experience combined with his previous work as a youth pastor and special education teacher led to his call to train and become certified as a Death Doula. He works with families in all aspects of the death journey, de-mystifying the mechanics of hospital, hospice, home care, death, and funeral homes, as well as helping them approach the death process as a sacred time for both the dying and their loved ones.
Thursday, August 16th | God Sends Forth: Putting Your Vocation Into Action
Dinner for the evening will be a Weenie roast and picnic!
- Bible Study: Peter
- Activity: Pairing gifts with specific ministries inside and outside St. Francis
- Guest Speaker on Finances for Seniors:
- Marcus Miller, CFP, CPA, Deerfield Financial. A certified Financial planner and accountant, Mr. Miller uses his experience to help guide clients through complex financial planning situations, providing clear direction so that they can focus on their retirement.
If you are coming from work and unable to attend until after 4:30pm, that's fine - join us when you can! We will be done by the early evening, so no one will be asked to drive in the dark.
We ask for participants to volunteer to help provide hospitality. Teams of 4 families will provide a snack at the beginning of the evening, and a simple dinner, such as soup, salad, bread, lemonade. Please consider volunteering to bring a dish or lend a hand in the kitchen.
Sign up starting July 8th! You can register and pay online, or register at the sign-up sheet on the Narthex table. For assistance please call the church office at 317-873-4377, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help? Read our Event Registration Guide or call our church office.
If you are unable to attend all 5 sessions enter a discount code for the number of sessions you plan to attend:
If you would like to pay by check or pay at the door, please select "pay later" from the drop-down menu